Advising Practices Across the UA Campus for 2024

Capstone Center for Student Success

Crimson EDGE and Exploring 4 Success students can make appointments with their advisor by clicking the link that in their advisor’s email signature, or walk into the Capstone Center (Russell Hall 300) and make an appointment in person. Students can also contact their advisor via email with individual questions or can call CCSS Advising at 205-348-7011. Students who are considering a major change or want to speak with an exploratory advisor must call to make an appointment.

Capstone College of Nursing

The Capstone College of Nursing lower division students will be advised through in-person appointments, e-mail, phone calls, or Zoom sessions. Students may make an appointment here for a Zoom advising session. If a student prefers an in-person appointment, they should contact ONSS at 205-348-6639 to make that change.

Advising is mandatory in the Capstone College of Nursing, and students are not permitted to register until they have met with an advisor. Those who do not need to see a professional advisor in the Office of Nursing Student Services will be required to see a faculty advisor during the mandatory advising period. Students are seen on a first-come, first-serve basis. Mandatory Advising Dates will be sent out to lower-division students at the beginning of each semester.

College of Arts & Sciences

Advising appointments for registration advising in the College of A&S Student Services Center is required for first-year A&S students (freshmen and transfers). We strongly encouraged those questioning their major or minor choice(s) to make appointments regardless of their classification. Ideally, students in their first semester at Alabama should make an appointment with the advisor they met in summer Bama Bound Orientation. After the first year, students who are confident in their major, with a 2.0 GPA, will meet with their major/faculty advisor about course registration and PIN clearing.

Zoom (15 minute) or face-to-face (30-minute) appointments will be available.  The student will be able to choose their appointment type. Visit our Make an Appointment page. Advising by Appointment is the preferred method for PIN clear. Students have the option to pick their advisor and appointment type. For quick questions, not related to advising holds, students may attend virtual or in-office (200 Clark) on-call advising. Additional details can be found by visiting our On-Call Advising page. Students can meet with an academic advisor on days when UA is open for business hours: Morning (8 am – 12 pm): Appointment Only or Afternoons (1 pm – 4:30 pm);  Appointment and/or On-Call Advising from 1 – 3:30 p.m.

College of Communication & Information Sciences

All C&IS undergraduate students will be advised by Tisch Student Services through in-person or Zoom advising. You can schedule an appointment online or by calling 205-348-8599.

College of Education

Please e-mail or call 205-348-6073 to set up a virtual appointment.

Students will be notified via e-mail regarding specific advising procedures for each semester. Students are responsible for consulting with an advisor during the advising period of a semester. An advisor will work with the student in planning courses for the upcoming semester(s).

After advising, the student must return the signed registration form. An advisor will release a student’s computer registration hold enabling the student to complete registration through myBama.

Associate Dean for Student Services and Certification:  Dr. Kathy Wetzel  Main Office:  104 Carmichael

College of Engineering

The College of Engineering offers a variety of options to meet the advising needs of students in-person appointments, Zoom appointments, E-advising forms, group advising presentations, and in-person/virtual drop-ins. More information about these options can be found here. Advisors communicate with students weekly regarding their availability and opportunities for being advised. Each advisor will have designated times each week for drop-ins that will be shared with students via e-mail.

E-mail Your Advisor: If you need to reach your advisor outside of an appointment, e-mail is usually the best option. You can find your advisor’s e-mail HERE.

All COE students must be advised in order to register for classes in the upcoming semester.

College of Human Environmental Sciences

For advising information, please visit the CHES Advising website. CHES Advisors will be available for virtual advising meetings throughout the semester. To schedule an appointment, please visit our Online Scheduling System. For quick questions and time-sensitive concerns, students may also email or visit HES Student Services, located in 206 Doster Hall.

Culverhouse College of Business

Information can be found on the Culverhouse Advising website.

If students would like to visit with an Academic Advisor, a face-to-face or  ZOOM appointment may be scheduled by calling (205) 348-4537 or using the online scheduling system. To reach an academic advisor via email, visit the directory to find their contact info.

Culverhouse students MUST meet with an academic advisor before they will be able to register for classes for the upcoming terms.

Honors College

Honors College advisors are available to meet via Zoom, email, or face-to-face in limited instances. To connect with an Honors College advisor, please complete the Ask an Honors Advisor Form or the Honors Advising Appointment Request Form. Please allow two (2) business days for a response as email volume is high during peak advising and registration periods.

School of Social Work

Information on Social Work advising can be found online. Incoming BSW students will be assigned an advisor to work with as they move through their undergraduate degree program.  Students can locate the name of their assigned advisor on their Degree Works worksheet. BSW Students should reach out to their advisor directly with specific questions and concerns. Students who are transferring to the School of Social Work from another College at UA or from another university or community college may contact Mary Sella, Coordinator for Student Services, to schedule an advising appointment.